You have probably heard elderly family members or friends refer to having an 8th grade education. Going through grammar school, or 8th grade, without continuing on to high school was fairly common in the past. But what exactly was an 8th grade education? Genealogy blogger Randy Seaver posted an 1895 Salina, KS. 8th grade final exam. Here is an excerpt:
Grammar (Time, one hour)
- Give nine rules for the use of capital letters.
- Name the parts of speech and define those that have no modifications.
- Define verse, stanza and paragraph
- What are the principal parts of a verb? Give principal parts of “lie”, “play”, and “run.”
- Define case; illustrate each case.
- What is punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of punctuation.
- Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.
How would you do?
[tags]grammar, english, education[/tags]